What is Management Puzzle?
Every manager knows that his department's performance depends on how efficiently he handles his personnel. Efficiency is influenced by how well the work is organized, motivation to get the job done, managerial communication, supervision, feedback, and more.
But not everyone knows the precise makeup of these components and how exactly they fit into the "management puzzle". The Management Puzzle game was developed to enable managers to test and see exactly which of these components affect the overall result and how they do it - without any actual loss in performance by their department due to poor decisions, diminished employee motivation or employee terminations!
This business simulation game provides a high level of player involvement and creates an emotionally charged atmosphere, so the conclusions drawn by the players are remembered for a long time.
Benefits of the Training
- Understanding of how to consider the attitudes and aptitudes of personnel for tackling various jobs
- Enhanced managerial flexibility and a holistic understanding of the supervisor's role in personnel management
- Improved skills in assessing employees' strengths and weaknesses, providing development feedback, and setting assignments to expand their potential
- Selection and implementing of an individual style of development that depends on how the employee absorbs new information
- Visualization of the link between management flaws and departmental efficiency
- Understanding of the importance of motivation and managerial communication, and what can go wrong when these are lacking
- Understanding of the priorities in handling personnel when time is at a premium
- Insight into how horizontal career planning affects personal motivation and the efficiency of the department as a whole
- Managers cope more successfully with the situations and employees that previously caused them difficulty
- Reduced personnel turnover due to better management awareness of the cost of losing an employee and how it correlates to good managerial communication
- Improved work performance by departments due to the shaping of a professional management system
- Managers see how personnel performance is related to their own communication skills and how well they take account of individual personalities
- Improved personnel motivation because managers realize the importance of properly handling different types of individuals (newcomers, the demotivated, superstars, etc.) and have mastered the tools for doing so
Game Specifics and Goals
- The players are in 4 teams, each of which simulates the work of the same department in different companies, where there are several types of jobs to be done requiring different skills
- The winner is the team that after 2 rounds of the game shows the best departmental performance
- To achieve this, the teams, which make decisions as the managers of those departments, are given employees they know nothing about and a certain amount of time during the game period in which to train them (a different amount of time in each period)
- During the game, the managers must make the following decisions:
- How to assign jobs among the employees
- How to factor in their aptitudes and attitudes when assigning the jobs
- How much time to devote to their development and supervision
- Whether to quickly assign certain job functions to the employees or to do this in a more planned fashion
- Whether to spend time on retaining and coaching the employees, or attempt at all costs to achieve maximum performance by the department as soon as possible
- Whichever team achieves the best departmental performance by the end of the game will depend solely on its HR strategy!
- Game duration is 4 to 8 hours
- It can be played by 12 to 250 people, a group of 12 -25 players
- It can be ordered as a staged event, or can be supplied for in-house use by the Client
- It is a tabletop business simulation game that uses mathematical modeling of a department's performance