What is Partnering?
Partnering becomes critical when groups or teams with different interests must work together toward mutual goals. This is a major issue for most organizations. Partnering is a way of working interdependently with other teams: between departments within an organization, between customers and suppliers, between parties of a joint venture.
The Partnering principles are designed to help those in partnering relationships to emphasize their areas of mutual interest and avoid adversarial behavior. The Partnering principles are: Respect, Share Risk & Responsibility, Openness and Outcomes.
How Do I Know If I Need It?
An organization should consider measuring working relationships with the Partnering survey whenever it:
- Wants to increase quality, reduce time and costs, and increase productivity in areas that require the effort of more than one department.
- Has a long-term relationships with its customers and wants to increase customer retention or serve customers more effectively and efficiently.
- Has tried to implement the concept of "internal customer" and has had limited success.
- Is engaged in an effort to re-design interdepartmental processes.
- Is involved in a joint venture with another organization.
Partnering results in greater clarity of mutual goals and more effective working relationships between teams. It can help organizations...
- Build solid working relationships between teams, groups, or organizations that have different interests, agendas, or objectives.
- Eliminate or reduce costly and time-consuming competition among internal departments.
- Develop clarity and forestall misunderstandings at the beginning of a relationship.
- Increase quality, reduce time and costs which improves productivity in areas that require the effort of more than one department.
- Increase customer retention.
- Provide effective and efficient customer service.
- A Partnering survey is distributed to members of the relevant departments. It helps to measure the effectiveness of working relationships between or among teams.
- Feedback reports are prepared for each team.
- Based on the results of the survey, a follow-up training/consulting module provides a base for additional training, planning and/or decision-making about how to better meet mutual goals, minimize the effects of conflicting goals, and how to support each other effectively.
28 questions to measure the effectiveness of one group's working relationships with other groups.
Key Feedback Features
A Partnering report provides feedback, from one or more other teams in an organization, about the participant's group. It summarizes these perceptions of the participant as partners and includes advice for improvement.
The feedback addresses the following four Partnering principles, each of which is represented by seven behavioral practices:
- Respect: recognizes the contributions of others
- Openness: freely sharing relevant information with others
- Shared Risk and Responsibilities: being willing to take reasonable risks, and taking action based on what's best for the business
- Outcomes: maintaining a clear focus on results.
Core Workshop Features (1 day workshop)
- Team Identification
- Organizational Alignment
- Partnering - strengths and challenges
- Partnering Priorities
- Mutual Goals and Outcomes
- Goal Clarification
- Outcome Feedback and Action Planning
- Signals of Disrespect
- Respect Feedback and Action Planning
- Overcoming Barriers to Openness
- Openness Feedback and Action Planning
- Shared Risk and Responsibility
- Risk/Responsibility Analysis
- Final Action Planning - Partner Working Agreement
- Build solid working relationship between teams, groups, or organizations that have different interests, agendas, or objectives.
- Eliminate or reduce costly and time-consuming competition among internal departments
- Develop clarity and forestall misunderstandings as the beginning of a relationship
- Increase quality, reduce time and costs which improves productivity in areas that require the effort of more than one department
- Increase customer retention
- Provide effective and efficient customer service